10. In 1970, Cabo was home to only three residents. Today over half a million people live in Cancun! (And no, I’m not counting the beach bums and sunbathers who visit all year round!
9. Before Cancún was Cancún, it used to be called Ekab, which means Black Earth. The word Cancún is actually Mayan, it means the snake pit or nest of serpents.
8. Massive renovations in recent years added another 7 miles of white sand coast to Cancún that weren’t there before. That’s correct – SEVEN miles.
7. Cancún’s beautiful international airport is the second busiest airport in Mexico. It’s also the busiest in terms of international traffic of all airports in Latin America.
6. The white sand beaches of Cancun are made from none other than crushed coral that is bountiful in the Yucatan Peninsula. The white sand is cool to the touch — no hot feet, just cool good times.
5. The Great Mayan Barrier Reef in Cancun is the second largest coral reef in the world after Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.
4. The infamous Hotel Zone in Cancun is a peninsula on a peninsula! It’s shaped like the number 7 — so the hotels on the strip have beachfront facing the Caribbean Sea on one side, and the Nichupte Lagoon on the other. Easy access to the main peninsula is still available via bridges.
3. Cancun is home to 14 pristine miles of white sand beaches, and they’re all public! Hotel properties can put chairs, thatched roofs and other amenities on the beach but it’s for their guests only. The beach is open to everyone.
2. Have you heard of underwater caves? Well, Cancun is home to three of the largest underwater cave systems in the world — and they’re all in the Riviera Maya area. It’s just one of the many adventures awaiting resort travelers in Cancun.
1. With miles of perfect beach and weather, it’s no surprise that Cancun and the Riviera Maya region are home to over 46,000 destination weddings every year.
Cancun and Riviera Maya are a favorite of vacationers for a reason. Unfortunately words don’t do it justice.
P.S. As all inclusive resort experts, we recommend Cancun to our customers every day! Our sales are almost always cheaper than what you’ll find online, so give us a call 888-667-5929 and we will help plan your escape 🙂